
I was recently able to take a small vacation to Qatar for four days. I was in a base located near Doha, the capital city.
The "Grand Mosque" is across the street and a parking lot from it.
Of course the first place I went in town was the camel vendors. I saw a few fine specimens and usually pick up up three or four every time I'm at the dealer, but this time I got out of there without a new ride. I think the Dr. Seuss band on that one on the right means he's pre-owned.
I went on a "city tour" which stoped at the "Souqs." Souq (ryhmes with kook) means market. There is one group of markets where they sell jewelry, and one where they sell everything else. This one, referred to as the Old Souqs are very extenive and the small shops are all positioned very closely together and the hallways the shops line go far back (to the left of this photo) from this row that borders the outside street.
The Old Souqs are 200 or so years old so this must be a pretty good place to sell things. Across from the souqs is a nice wide walkway lined with restaurants. They are new construction imitating the old city style,
Haagen Dazs coming soon.
I learned, after I got here, that Doha has a bid in for the 2016 Olympics. Later, I learned they "had" a bid in as it has been denied and moved to 2020. Doha did host the 2006 Asian Games, the largest Asian Games ever.
This is Orry the Qatari Oryx, the mascot of the 2006 Games.
Doha is a city under construction. There are over 50 high rise shyscapers under construction, nearly every one has a crane or two working on it.
Many buildings are lined with enormous posters as part of the bid for the 2016 Olympics, like this little ninja in training, and this building that obviously has a huge ball stuck in it.
Chinese finger trap building.
Doha Skyline.
Americans.

1 comment:
Wow, must have felt like home with asphalt roads (with dotted lines), traffic lights, malls, and Starbucks!
Post a Comment