Friday, May 30, 2008

Operation Gratitude

The other day we received care packages from "Operation Gratitude." Everyone in our office got one. They were from enthusiastic students attending a high school in West Virginia. The boxes were packed with worthy items, probably 30-40 crammed in a flat rate box. Here are the best from my package:


We support and hug you teddy bear.








Enough grounds for one pot of Ethiopian coffee from Costco (unexpired). You'd be surprised how much (sometimes seriously) expired stuff we get. I guess it's the thought that counts. In that case the though is: "I'm sending you expired food products."







Beer Nuts, mmmm (1-800-BEERNUTS). Another subtle reminder that I can't have beer.

The "New Teen Titans" No. 24 from October 1986 (starring Wonder Woman).






























A "wake and bake" ball cap (wait ... did Tom send this package?)

Other items included: A toothbrush, handy, as in the rigors of office-war I have forgotten to brush; lots of individual servings of Advil; Nerds; various types of gum; foot powder; girl scout cookies; anti-fungal foot powder; music CDs; Fun Dip.

Here are some of the other notable hats:

Family Guy
















Snakes on a Plane - SOAPMF!!















And, best of all, the music CD my boss received: Jeff Wayne's "It's O.K. to be a White Male"

5 comments:

cblashek said...

Hi Jake,
Thank you for your wonderful posting. I am so glad that your team received and enjoyed the Operation Gratitude care packages. Please let everyone know that the packages are an expression of love, support, appreciation and respect from citizens all over this country. You are our inspiration and make us proud to be Americans!

The Photo Gallery on our website, www.operationgratitude.com has pictures of all the many volunteers who contributed to sending your packages. If you will send pictures of all of you with our packages to me, I will post your pictures on our website too.

Our thanks to all of you for your courage and sacrifice in service to our country and the cause of freedom. My thoughts, prayers and appreciation are with you always.

Fondly,
Carolyn Blashek
Operation Gratitude
cblashek@aol.com

SFC D said...

Jake

My name is SFC Paul Dorsey. I'm a JROTC Instructor at Montcalm H.S. in WV.

Carolyn just emailed me (twice) pointing me in your direction. It looks like the letters our cadets and students wrote made it to your unit by way of Operation Gratitude.

Small world.
Great Country.
Big God.

You may not know this...

Carolyn started Operation Gratitude 5 years ago. The organization has just went over the 350,000th care package sent - 100% donated; 100% volunteer. Easily millions of dollars and untold hours.

The only thanks Carolyn wants is more addresses to send more packages at Christmas time.

I don't know how she got the link to your blog. But I do know that she emailed me because she never thinks about herself.

I don't know what we can do for you, but my contact info is at the bottom.

You guys are the best, you deserve the best and there are plenty of Americans who love and truly support you.

A lot more went into those boxes than cookies, hats and candy...

Thanks again

Paul Dorsey
SFC, USA (Ret)
Army JROTC Instructor

sfcd1@yahoo.com

Terry said...

Hi Jake,

This comment is from your random relative Terry Harmon. Just visited with your parents and after looking at your blog and talking with your parents thought while you are over there you might enjoy looking at the website of your perhaps 3rd cousin Mike Harmon. He is an avid outdoorsman also and recently made a kayaking trip to Lochsah Chile. Photos are on www.dontcamerame.com. Also thought you might want to be aware that you have a relative living in Boise, ID in case you ever decide to venture up there and want to do some outdoors stuff with someone of possibly similar interests. I told Mike I was passing on his website to you and I think I'll pass your blog on to him as he would probably enjoy your photos.

I enjoyed reading your blog. It is interesting to read your comments on the care packages. I particularly enjoyed the palace tour photos.

Very proud to have family members like you serving our country. I do keep tabs on things through your parents. Thank you.

Terry Harmon - second cousin

Yessy said...

wow, that comic is amazing.
wish I had joined the navy!

-cowette

Mike and Cicely said...

Jake - your posts provide a unique and humorous look into life in the desert - glad you've got that sense of humor!

You wouldn't believe how many of my wife's friends back in the states read yours and Kents blogs (they're linked on our blog) - keep it up!

- Mike