Sunday, February 10, 2008

Where am I going? What will I be doing?


Right now I am in pre-deployment training. This involves a week of processing in Virginia followed by three weeks of Army training in South Carolina. After that it's convoy training in Kuwait, then off to Baghdad. I'll be working at Camp Victory, which you know as much about as me if you go to wikipedia and look it up. Here's what a friend of mine who's already out there says: "Victory has the best chow halls and gyms. If you are lucky, which you probably will be, you will get a wet trailer (aka trailer with a bathroom in it) instead having to pee into empty water bottles because you don't want to walk to the bathroom in subfreezing weather at 2 am."



So what will I be doing?



My job will be planning official visits, It's better than a lot of things, and I'll be working in the Al-Faw Palace (left). You can look this one up on Wikipedia too. Here's what my friend has to say about the palace: "Besides being the main target on base everything else is good."

5 comments:

Kristin said...

Jake. Wow. Thanks for making this--
Kristin

Peter said...

It would appear that your palace is floating. Please confirm this.

Unknown said...

hopefully your grammar will improve as future blogs appear. haha. e-mail schme-mail...you're still getting real letters and care packages :)

Unknown said...

So you will be handing out jackets, but to VIP's no less. That palace looks like it might be a suitable base for your adventures in sand science. Don't forget the Wentworth scale of grain sizes and that sand moves by traction, saltation and suspension. Trouble sleeping? I can tape some of my old lectures for you... How about the infamous Dry Adiabatic Lapse rate... Could be fun to get a bunch of your buddies there at the base together for a podcast party with a Mass Wasting theme, the progression from slips to slides to slumps to falls...

Send me your snail addy so I can send cakes with files baked in or pies with extra kevlar & stuff.

Caitlin Morrissey and Jake Belvin said...

Peter- this is not my palace. Yet. I will photographically confirm or deny the flotational properties of the palace upon further inspection.

Tom- Yes, grain sizes and mash along with home brew supply filled pies. What a delightful way to make time pass in the desert.