Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas in Baghdad

This was definitely the strangest Christmas I've had, mostly because it doesn't see like Christmas at all. There were even people in to work on Christmas who really didn't have to be there but didn't have anything else to do. Unfortunately I had to be in to work early and there until late on Christmas, but it was a pretty good day, plus I didn't have anything else to do either.

We have moved into the new embassy, and there is a little kitchen down the hall. Now it's the cookie storeroom, as boxes and tins and bags of cookies sent by family and friends of everyone on my floor are all piled up in there.

Iraq recognized Christmas as an official national holiday for the first time ever this year. There is a small Christian minority here, and it's nice to see the government recognize alternate religious holidays. On the other hand, a car bomb killed two and wounded thirteen on Christmas day. It was not near me, other than being in the same city.

Speaking of Christians... I am going out to eat at a Christian Iraqi restaurant tonight, so there will probably be some pretty good Christmas decorations there. No snow yet, but hopefully I will see a little bit before I leave.

No comments: