
I am now working in the US Embassy in Baghdad. Actually there is a new embassy on this map that I haven't even been onto yet because the new Embassy is new and my office there isn't set up yet. But - in this diagram you can also see the "Green Zone" or "International Zone," where I live and where all the embassies are located. The size is conveniently listed in hectares, as well as acres and football fields if you don't deal well with hectares. The rest of the area is a few miles across at the widest points. And you can see from the little inset in the corner that it's about in the center of the city, which runs out about equidistant from the Tigris River in either direction. I'm not allowed to take photos here for security reasons, and there aren't too many online so I'm not going to put any up. A building is a building anyway, and the one I'm in is not as grand as the palace I just came from. What it nice is that there is grass here, and there are trees. The camp where I was before is mostly sand colored stones stacked to make buildings, all surrounded by sand. There are palm trees there but they have been dying of thirst for years. Here there are more sand colored building and more sand colored sand, but green is my favorite color and there is more of it around. The palms are much healthier here, which results in dates all over the ground, which results in dates stuck in your boots. My boots were not designed with this in mind as the sole of my boot and the average date seed fit snugly together. Even better, the sticky smashed date flesh makes sure the seeds don't fall out. At least it is a delicious gunk smashed in my shoes over some more common, less-delicious, shoe stickings.
Brace yourself for the weather- it is hot and dry. The last fews days have seemed even a bit warmer, actually, I thought today as I was walking. I thought "man it's hot today." I did, I actually said "man" in my head. There weren't even any men around. Right after that thought popped into my head I looked down and saw a decent sized cactus growing in a rectangular dirt patch in the walkway. I've seen many cacti doing as they do, surviving in places most notably similar to and including the desert. This was the saddest little cactus I have seen though, he was still alive, but was so shriveled that I wasn't sure how. I do believe the plant agreed with me about the heat and was having a slightly rougher time than I was.
That's all for now. I hope everyone is enjoying their summer. If you aren't, I suggest you start immediately, tick tock.

No comments:
Post a Comment