Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Norfolk, VA

I'm going to go back in time now to catch up on where I've been. Like I said (I think) I started the going to Iraq process in Norfolk, VA. I had one week there for a very military sounding "pre-mobilization processing" before proceeding to South Carolina for "pre-mobilization training." It may sound very exciting that I was "mobilizing" like perhaps I was a car shaped robot that would transform into a people shaped robot while making numerous robot-changing noises, but it actually leads into:

The worst part of pre-mobilization!

I have to set the stage a bit here. As many of you know there are sometimes complaints I may have about the Navy, so saying something is the worst part of this whole process is a hefty claim. We find ourselves in a fairly standard Quality Suites branch, located conveniently on US Rte 64 and a straight shot to the base where I would be enjoying my week of processing. A week of "processing" may sound more like how tuna fish and the occasional dolphin end their lives, and you may not think this enjoyable. If so, you are correct sir. But now you know where I was staying, along with twenty or so other Navy sailors of all shapes and sizes bound for some strategically non-nautical task around the world. As a group of proud patriots bound for war, we would surely be shining stars in this hotel, a beacon of hope for our fellow Americans and proof that freedom is the right of all men. Unfortunately, there was someone a little more important than us at the hotel, stealing our thunder and making the whole week seem a little more like the last moments of the life of a fish destined to be smashed up into an easily stackable product with an exceptional shelf life.


The best part!


Fret not, the Quality Suites were not a place for Gladys to feel the power and recognition only a mid-level hotel banner can provide, but one that would make my week back in Norfolk, VA memorable for all time. Being lodged at the hotel instead of on base, I needed some way to commute to and from work. To accomodate this important need, the Navy authorized me a rental car (that means they pay for it). Not only was I now lodged with the likes of celebrities like Gladys; I was also traveling like one, riding comfortably in this sleek and stylish motorcar:


4 comments:

Peter said...

Wow. Nice ride. I'm sure you drove it incredibly responsibly, keeping to the white line on the right and staying at or below 55 miles per hour for maximum fuel efficiency...

Unknown said...

Jaaaake! Wartime adventures may be coming but today we have the transformation from YLOS (Young Lietenant Officer Stud) to WMD-SW (White Minivan Driving Suburban Warrior). I get it, the big Dick is sending you to sandland so he can prove there are WMDs there. My guess is that in your jealous rage at being upstaged by Gladys you failed to recognize that vehicle is the major component of "convoy" training. You'll be widely known as the guy who led the convoy of Caravans to Camp victory! Pigpen this here's the Rubber Duck and I'm about avoid jackrabbit starts by applying gentle even pressure to the accellerator pedal...

Yessy said...

you didn't tell me it was going to be white!!

by the way, Kristina is lovely. Too bad I couldn't find the time to show her around.

Kristin said...

Oh my lord Jake. This is fantastic. Especially your synopsis of the draft.