Thursday, August 20, 2009
"You need to promote yourself, Dude..."
The Gypsy works diligently back in Charleston, SC, reading, writing, editing, and doing with diligence the other things that editors do. Only, I, the tourist, and the eight-hundred-some million people in Europe remain. Working tirelessly to overcome to the sorrow I was not able to wash entirely off in the Adriatic, I headed next on a 23 hour train ride from Split, Croatia to Krakow, Poland. It seems Caitlin took the sun back to the Charleston with her, as the first [daytime] rain during this excursion found me on my first day in Krakow.
On advice from the proprietor of ARS Hostel, I headed for the best, and only, castle in Krakow- Wawel (pr. vah-vel) Castle. I spent several days in Krakow, including a day trip to Auschwitz and Birkenau. After this I went to Wrocław (pr. vro-swaf), Poland, accidentally, for a night. Soon I was back on schedule and spent one night in Warsaw before heading to Copenhagen to meet my Danish friend. Dennis lives on the West coast of Denmark and traveled cross-country on Sunday morning to meet me in Copenhagen. We stayed at his uncle's house while touring Copenhagen and visiting Tivoli theme park until Tuesday,
when we took to the road and returned to his house in Videbæk. On the drive we crossed the Storebæltsforbindelsen (bridge name) that spans the Great Belt (Danish: Storebælt), a straight that seperates two of the Danish land masses- Zealand (East) to Funen (West). Along the way we stopped and saw many sites including a Viking museum and ending with the West coast of Denmark at Søndervig. We spent a day seeing more of the North and West, then traveled South to Padborg, on the German border, where I caught the train to Berlin. That's where I am now, but only two countries on this posting. The Poland and Denmark pictures are all on Picasa http://picasaweb.google.com/jakebelvin.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment