Monday, November 3, 2008

Warren Miller and the Election

Today my friend Allen and I went down to the theater and watched the Warren Miller movie that David and Peter sent. Thanks fellahs. I know Allen from back on one of the ship's I was on, and we used to watch ski movies on Sunday mornings during our six month deployments.

They have other movies in the theater daily, but this is the first time I've watched anything here. I was considering seeing the new Mummy movie last week when it played, but that didn't work out. Here is the theater, the seats are quite comfy:




















This is not the movie, I took this picture later- but, speaking of the election... I was watching the Doha Debates on BBC last night, the motion on the table was that "the Middle East would be better off with John McCain in the White House." This motion was rejected 87%-13%. It was not the typical "we love Obama, he's so dreamy" reasoning that's seen in many American forums where supporters of Obama are the overwhelming majority, but instead it was a good debate with pertinent input from Middle Eastern audience members from many nations. The audience here was of course influenced primarily by their opinion on how the candidates would handle Middle Eastern policy and affairs, but it was refreshing to see legitimate disussion by non-Americans on this race that has grown so tired in the US. Sadly, the majority of the 300 or so audience members were probably following the entire election more closely than a lot of the Americans who will be voting on the 4th.

For those of you who do not know about the Doha Debates on BBC, they are- (this is from their web site) "financed by the Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development, no government, official body or broadcaster has any control over what is said at the sessions or who is invited. The 350-strong audiences are drawn mainly from Qatar’s student body and come from all over the Arab and Islamic worlds. In several debates they have adopted radical and unexpected positions." http://www.thedohadebates.com

No comments: