Sunday, March 2, 2008

Kuwait



We left Camp McCrady in lovely South Carolina on a commercial airline and headed out for the middle east. After a short flight to JFK Intl in New York we left for Hahn Germany, near Frankfurt. After we got more fuel here we took off bound for Kuwait, which is where I am now. The purpose of stopping in Kuwait is to acclimate to the conditions and do some more shooting at Udari Range, which is also in Kuwait located to the North. It's very big, the size of something - but I don't remember what. You could look it up if you're interested, or I will post more when I return from there.



We arrived at Camp Virginia in Kuwait after a bus ride from the airport. It was about 3am and this picture is what it looked like. Camp Virginia is very flat and covered in sand, apparently like the rest of Kuwait. The camp is fairly small and there isn't much to do. These are the tents we live in, about twelve people per tent. There are steel bunk beds with matresses, or cots. Our tent has mostly matresses but I was pretty late finding my stuff so I avoided the cot but have a top bunk. All of our "seabags" - which is what the big cylindrical green bags that sailors carry are called - went into big trucks and were loaded directly onto the plane. Usually four bags per person and about 200 of us. When they were offloaded and driven to Camp Virginia we had what the Navy refers to as a "working party" though it is not much like any other kind of a party. We made two big lines behind two big trucks and passed the bags out. After they were all offloaded you got to find your bag. While most people made an effort to make their bag unique with some tape or other distinguishing item, it was really dark and they were all still green bags. And this picture on the left in the light is our camp in the daytime. We will be at Udari range for a couple days and then return here to wait for our flights to Baghdad. There's not a lot to do here, so it's fortunate I won't be spending too long here. There are two gyms, a few fast food places like Subway and McDonalds, a USO tent with movies, video games, and phones (it's pretty nice), a call center with phones and internet (where I am now), some sand volleyball and basketball courts (outdoor), and lots of local vendors. There are some other things but you get the idea. My computer time limit is up so excuse the spelling errors, I'm not going to check this, maybe later.

1 comment:

Yessy said...

hey what happened with your splinter??? Is your finger gangrene-infected yet?

I vote for more photos of the finger!